Sunday, October 09, 2005
Attachment countdown: 10 hours, 4 minutes, 47 seconds
Debbie's right. What happened to the rest of our classmates?Anyway, let me commence on another self-absorbed soliloquy:
All goods things must come to an end.
Argh crap. Why can't I have a week of holidays before attachment starts?!
One of my lecturers was giving us some kind of last minute psych-boost before packing us off to the longest attachment in our academic career (yah I know, 2 months is considered quite short for some of you). He commented that all of us look quite jaded. He then went on the recount another story in which 2 of his students also appeared disillusioned. He remediated that by bringing them to see an "inspirational" sunset. According to him, we should try to remember the reason we chose to be in the "helping" profession.
I agree with one of my classmates. I get pretty disturbed when people use adjectives such as 'caring', 'helping'/'helpful', 'noble' etc etc to describe doctors (to a lesser degree), nurses (to a great degree) and therapists (to some degree). Because when I ask myself very frankly my reasons for choosing OT, my reasons are usually self-centred rather than positive:
- I don't have to sit at a desk - won't get fat so easily
- I can talk to different people - less boring
- Can brag to people that I work in a hospital
- Don't have to use the computer other than performing amateurish functions - a leftover protective mechanism from the disgusting JC computing days.
- Don't have to travel to Buona Vista or Jurong East just to attend school - school for me is just 15 minutes away
- Disgusting variety of courses available in Unis here
- Don't have to compete with the many brilliant people in engineering
- Pay lesser school fees
- Can mix around with a different group of people (non-St Nick's or VJ - even though I also mix around with Jojo now)
- (when I got sponsored) Oh! Allowance!
- Definite job vacancy
See?! See?! I'm such an egocentric person by nature. If I follow Freud's theories, my Id has has reigned tyranny over my Ego while my Superego perishes into nothingness.
And now that my attachment starts tomorrow, silly questions run through my mind:
- Will I like my supervisor?
- Will my supervisor like me?
- Will my supervisor have a sense of humour?
- Will I get sucked into silly politics?
- Will I drop a patient?
- How many patients will I get?
- What time should I wake up to be on time?
- What bus should I take?
- What should I put down as my learning objectives?
- Do I have time to continue watching my Korean Drama?
- What can I do to avoid reenaction of the tragedy of my last placement?
- Should I read anything tonight?
Blergh.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Xiu Juan out
@ |9:49 PM|